If you would like to download the FULL Qaseedah Burdah Shareef in Arabic please click on the link below, JazakAllah Khair!
Qasidah Burdah Shareef
(Qasidah Burdah Shareef of Imam Al Busiri )
1) Is it because of your remembrance of the neighbours of Dhi-salam.
2) That tears mixed with blood are flowing (from your eyes).
3) Or is it because of the breeze blowing from Kaazimah.
4) Or is it the lightning struck in the darkness of the night of Idam.
5) What has happened to your eyes, (the more) you tell them to stop, the more they continue flowing.
6) What is the matter with your heart, (the more) you tell it to come to its senses, (the more it is distracted).
7) Does the lover think that his love can be concealed.
8) While his eyes are shedding tears and his heart is glowing.
9) Had it not been for love, you would not have shed tears at the ruins (of your beloved).
10) Nor would you become restless at the remembrance of the cypress (tree) at the high mountain.
11) How do you deny love after the testimony.
12) Borne against you by (such) reliable witnesses as your tears and your illness.
13) Love has ingrained two lines of fear, and withered your face.
14) On your cheeks like yellow roses and reddish tree.
15) Yes! thoughts of the beloved came to me at night and kept me awake.
16) And love transforms pleasure into pain.
17) O you who reproach me, regarding my love, excuse me.
18) From me to you if you do justice, you would not reproach me.
19) My state (of love) has been expressed to you, (now) my secret is no longer concealed.
20) From those who malign (me), nor is there (something to) check (cease) my agony.
21) You have sincerely advised me, but I did not heed it.
22) For verily a lover is deaf to those who advise him.
23) I regarded with suspicion the advice of the elders in reproaching me.
24) (Wisdom) in the advice of the elders is above suspicion.
IN THIS CHAPTER Allamah Busairi R.A. speaks of his love for Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam. He tries to conceal this love and who his beloved is. For this reason, he has not mentioned the name of Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam directly in the whole chapter. By mentioning places and things close to Madinah, he alludes to Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam. Due to this excessive love and devotion for Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam he has become completely restless, thus exposing this love to everyone.
1. Dhi-salam is a place between Makkah and Madinah, rather closer to Madinah. Allamah Busairi R.A. mentions Dhi-salam as it reminds him of the Hijrat of Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam. It is as though he remembers the beginning of Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam's Nubuwwat, and early life in Makkah as well as his Hijrat to Madinah.
2) These tears are due to his excessive love for Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam. By referring to tears mixed with blood Allamah Busairi R.A. shows his great love for his beloved. (Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam).
3) Here he again questions and probes the reason for the happenings mentioned in line 2. Kaazimah is a village in Madinah and as the breeze from there reaches Allaamah Busairi, his heart turns towards his beloved. Allamah Busairi R.A. has not as yet mentioned who his beloved is, but by beginning with Makkah, then mentioning Kaazimah which is a village on the outskirts of Madinah, he is alluding to the resting place of his beloved.
4) Idam is a mountain in Madinah. As Allamah Busairi R.A. sees the lightning he wonders if it is the same lightning that struck on Idam. Even the lightning reminds his troubled heart of his beloved. After mentioning Dhi-salam, Kaazimah and now the mount of Idam it becomes completely clear where his beloved is and who his beloved is without directly mentioning the name. Allamah Busairi R.A. is actually trying to keep the name of the beloved Rasulullah Sallallalhu Alayhi Wasallam) a secret.
5) Due to Allamah Busairi being separated from his beloved, tears continue flowing from his eyes. As every true lover knows the more one tries to stop crying, the more thoughts of the beloved brings tears to the eyes.
6) Here Allamah Busairi asks his ailing heart, why is it that when I ask you to come under control, the more you long for the beloved and become grieved by its separation.
7) Now Allamah Busairi shows the reason for his tears and the reason why his heart is ailing.
8) Even though Allamah Busairi had tried to keep his love a secret, his tears and troubled heart exposed his love to everyone.
9) Allamah Busairi says, had it not been for love, such tears would not have flowed from his eyes. Upon seeing something which reminds him of his beloved, he uses the words 'ruins' (of your beloved). It is also these tears which have exposed his secret love.
10) Love causes sleeplessness to Allamah Busairi at the recollection of the cypress on a high mountain. This is so because the cypress on a high mountain due to its sweet scent is used by Arab poets to denote a beloved. The high mountain reminds Allamah Busairi of the mountains in the place where his beloved lives.
11) Although Allamah Busairi tries to deny his love, yet there is evidence which exposes his love.
12) The evidence spoken about in the previous line is in fact the tears and illness. They constitute such trustworthy witnesses that no doubt can be placed of Allamah Busairi not being in love. Due to tears and grief, misery and sleeplessness, he has become ill.
13) The effect of Allamah Busairi's love caused two streaks to appear on his cheeks due to excessive tears and made his face become feeble and withered.
14) Allamah Busairi's cheeks are compared to a yellow rose because he has become pale and due to the excessive tears the lines caused on his cheeks are compared to the reddish colour of a tree.
15. Allamah Busairi says that thoughts of his beloved kept him awake at night. A point to note: Because the beloved is Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam many of his true lovers are blessed with seeing his noble countenance in a dream.
16. When a person is in love or in grief (due to love), he no longer finds enjoyment in those things which he used to enjoy before being separated from his beloved.
17. Allamah Busairi’s close ones reproached him on his love and tried to explain to him that he is harming himself and will become seriously Ill, but Allamah Busairi asks to be excused because he is helpless and cannot control the love in his heart.
18) Allamah Busairi says to his reproachers that you know I am helpless in this love and if you were just, you would not reprimand me but rather sympathize with me.
19) Allamah Busairi admits to his love and is grief stricken that it no longer remains a secret.
20) This line continues from the previous one in that Allamah Busairi's secret love is no longer hidden from those who are envious and malign him. On the other hand, there is nothing to stop the pain of his love, nor does he wish it to stop.
21) Allamah Busairi refers to his reproachers as being people who sincerely wished to help him but he remained heedless to their advice.
22) Allamah Busairi explains why he did not heed his sincere advisers. He admits that love overpowered him. He no longer has control over his emotions. Love has made him deaf to everything else.
23) Due to being lost in love Allamah Busairi (R.A) regarded with distrust and dislike the sincere reproaching of the elders who had the experience of love before.
24) Extreme love made Allamah Busairi distrust the sincere reproachment of his elders, but now he realises that the advice of the elders is full of wisdom and above doubt. Even though he acknowledges reality of their wisdom, his overwhelming love leaves him heedless to their advice.
بردة البوصيرى بصوت الشيخ عبد العظيم العطوانى
كتبهامحب الحبيب علي ، في 29 يونيو 2008
الساعة: 08:56 ص